Nestled amidst acres of lofty coffee plantations, under looming peppercorn trees are the cottages and huts that make up the Yedamakky Plantations resort in Coorg, a resort that will beguile you with its fairytale setting.
Coorg, or Kodagu as the district is locally known, is famous for its rolling hills and cool, moist air — the perfect conditions for growing coffee. India is the world’s seventh largest exporter of coffee and the single-origin arabica from the state of Karnataka accounts for almost three quarters of it.
Here, in the village of Hegela, you can experience the heady delights of a plantation homestay.
Located in the Western Ghats, with its picturesque locales, majestic mountains and serene plantations, Coorg is rightly called the Scotland of India.
A heaven for nature-lovers and adrenaline-seekers alike, Coorg has a little something for everyone. From thrilling white water rafting to slumber-soaked evenings spent gazing at the sunset, this lush land has a lot to offer. Tourists love Coorg for the immersive nature that abounds, historical sites and ruins, the crafts, as well as the local food.
If you’d like to experience the best nature trails, the rare blue-faced malkhoa bird with its pearly blue eyes makes its home at closeby Nagarhole National Park, a short drive away. Dubare Elephant Camp is a must-visit for animal lovers; and even if you’re not a trekker, you can still enjoy the setting of the mighty waterfalls, Abbey and Iruppu.
With the V Resorts Yekamaddy Plantation as your base, you can make day trips to the Madikeri Fort or the Raja’s Seat, a crumbling burial ground for kings from days gone by. The Tibetan town of Bylakuppe not only reflects Tibetan influences in architecture and crafts, but also in the monasteries and temples there.
You can explore all the markets and shop for handicrafts as well as stunning silk saris.
Come for the quiet, stay for the revival. V Resorts Yedamakky Plantations will fulfill your need for privacy; the cottages and huts are spread across the vast plantation. You can zone out and relax for the duration of your stay — there are hammocks and a pond at your doorstep — or you can let the folks at the resort help you do some sight seeing. They can arrange day trips across the region and also organize photo walks and local village tours as well.
Rafting down the Cauvery is a favorite activity for guests and trekking the high peaks comes a close second.
On the premises, you can enjoy bonfires every night, take archery and yoga classes, walk through the misty grounds, or chill at the thatched gazebos. There’s even a badminton court.
At night, you can cosy up around the bonfire, even eat your dinner by the fireside.
In case we didn’t make our point strongly enough, let us remind you that the resort is set in a coffee and pepper plantation! Take advantage of this heavenly location and set out on a plantation tour during your stay. The staff will be happy to show you how the whole process works, and how the coffee beans end up in your morning cuppa.
There are also tea plantations in the area and the staff will gladly help you set up a tour of plantations that grow the other elixir of life as well.
- Arrive at the resort at 1400 hours
- Settle in and then step out for a nature walk. The varied terrain and paths around the resort make it a great place to explore some truly incredible flora and fauna. From various types of trees and of course, coffee plants, this is indeed a great place to immerse yourself in the unique culture of Coorg. You can also go for a short trek close by
- Have a hearty dinner inspired by the local cuisine
- Get up early and enjoy an authentic cup of coffee sourced from the plantation itself. Have breakfast in the resort
- Get your picnic basket packed from the resort and set out for a coffee plantation tour
- In the afternoon, lounge around the resort or go bird watching. The area around the resorts is filled with trees and a natural pond, making it a haunt for both local and migratory birds. Don’t forget your binoculars.
- Have dinner from the live grill around the bonfire, the perfect way to end a memorable day
- Get up in the early hours and step out for yoga and meditation amidst the scenic views
- Enjoy an authentic South Indian breakfast before you sign off
Where: Yedamakky Cottage, Yedamakky, Hegela Village, Virajapet, Coorg, Karnataka 571218
How: Coorg is easily accessed by road and train. The closest airport is Bangalore from where you can take a bus to Virajapet, 9 km away. Mysore railway station is 100 km away and Thalassery is about 80 km away. Contact the resort to help arrange local transport from these points.
When: October to May
Exclusive offer: For UniQverse members, a bonus offer of complimentary lunch or dinner is included with the booking.
Package Cost: INR 9,999/- per couple
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for the best offers
Saw or experienced anything unusual and uncommon that you’d like to see covered here? Email your suggestions to email@example.com with a line or two, and we will publish with credit to you. Best suggestions win shopping vouchers!